Monday, February 2, 2009

RPGs


Turns out I heart them. I used to think I hated them, or only had a mild passion for them. I was totally wrong. I definitely <3 them, I may even c=3 them.

I came to this realization playing Fable II the past week. I remember liking the first one but not the way I'm loving this lil' guy. It's so colorful and cheeky and just a pleasure to spend time with. The world Lionhead built for this game is gorgeous and magical. It truely draws me into it. It's one of those games where I'd pick it up planning to play for an hour and end up playing for 5.

Fallout was a statistical game. VATs tells you that you have a 32% chance of hitting enemy's head. Your lockpicking skill is at 76/100. Take a mentat to boost science 10 points so that you can hack the computer. Your right limb's damage is a few points away from being crippled. Drinking that water will give you some health, but at a +5 rads per second cost. Your combat shotgun is a few points away from breaking...

As an engineer I loved and appreciated all the numbers and math. But then there's Fable. Fable is refreshingly simple.

Oh, and turn based RPG's still suck in my book.

p>c

aesop.

No comments: